Tuesday, July 3, 2007

iPhone Activation Woes - iPhone #2

I awoke this morning not knowing what to expect. You see yesterday I did something I probably shouldn't have. I attempted to activate two iPhones in parallel. I should waited until the first one was complete before starting the second. The worst case I anticipated was two iPhones each on their own, independent family plans. If this were to happen, at least I'd have two active iPhones and I could merge them to a single family plan later. What I got I did not anticipate.

When I initiated both activations I selected no numbers to port from my previous carrier. The first iPhone got a new number from Birmingham, Alabama. I expected another phone number from Birmingham for iPhone #2. Instead, this morning I received an e-mail stating one of my phones now has the mobile number of my previous carrier! Yes, the port had gone through even though I had started from scratch and didn't even request it! As soon as you stop asking for something, that's when you get it I guess. My old number was ported to iPhone #2. I really wanted it on iPhone #1 but that's not a big of a deal -- I hadn't grown that attached to #1 yet.

Now I'm syncing iPhone #2 (this will now be mine since it has my old cellphone number) with a good mix of demonstration media. I'll have to rename iPhone #1 to be my wife's and load it up with her favorites. Today's challenge will be to see if they are in fact on the same family plan and if I can port her number to her phone so people don't have to call Birmingham, Alabama to talk to her.

No comments: